Who can Home-Start help?
- Lonely or isolated parents
- Families with twins or several pre-school children
- Families where there is ill health or disability/special needs
- Families who have suffered bereavement
- Mums who have post-natal depression
- Families who are new to an area
- Families from all backgrounds
- Lone parents
In short, any family with at least one child under 5, who is experiencing difficulties, can ask Home-Start for help.
How can Home-Start help?
- Friendly support through difficult times for as long as is helpful or needed
- Flexibility - you decide with your volunteer when visits will happen and how you spend the time
- Understanding - Home-Start volunteers are parents too! Some may have been supported by Home-Start themselves, or wish they could have been.
- Reassurance - all parents sometimes feel overwhelmed, you are not alone
- A listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, if needed!
- An extra pair of hands - coping with more than one child may make getting out and about tricky, a Home-Start volunteer could provide the help and support you need
- Confidentiality - information about you and your family is never disclosed to anyone outside of Home-Start (except where a child may be at risk)
- Choice - families choose whether or not to accept Home-Start support. A volunteer will only visit at the invitation of the family.
How do I find out more?
For more information please feel free to contact us using the form provided, or telephone on 01202 574877. Alternatively you could ask a family member or close friend to contact us, or ask your health visitor / local children's centre for more details.
What happens next?
Initially, you will be sent a referral form to complete and then a co-ordinator will come out to meet you, and answer any questions you may have. If you decide to go ahead, they will complete any paperwork necessary to process your referral. At the next visit you will be introduced to a volunteer, and, if you hit it off, begin to receive weekly visits. The co-ordinator will still keep in touch, and we will always be available if you need us.